A local listing of events in the coming days and weeks.
Friday, June 27
• Front Stage Friday’s Open Mic and Contest will be offered every second and fourth Friday at Petracity, 3230 Philadelphia Pike, Claymont with doors opening at 7:30 p.m.
It will be non-stop performances featuring bands, singers, dancers, musicians, comedians, rappers, poets, authors, independent labels, promoters and more.
Grand prize will receive one-hour studio time and all performances will be filmed by commercialeyez.
The cost is $5 at the door. Food will be catered by Paradise Caribbean Cuisine and a gas card drawing for all guests who arrive by 8:30 p.m. will be held.
For more information, call Cynthia at (302) 419-6521, Tim at (215) 327-1554 or Bryant at (302) 442-3566.
Saturday, June 28
• The second Brick Mill 5K Run/Walk Fun Day 2008 will be held with registration beginning at 8:30 a.m. The race begins at 9. This event is for Brick Mill Farm residents only.
The event is free and there will be prizes, refreshments, music, a moon bounce and more.
The event will be in the Brick Mill Farm Circle.
The event organizers would like to thank the local businesses that donated food, gift cards and support to the event.
• From 5 to 9 p.m., head to the Gilbert W. Perry Jr. Arts Center on Main Street in Middletown to celebrate America and support The Everett Theatre.
Admission is free but donations are encouraged.
Local Christian theater company, God’s Power & Light Co., will present the patriotic cantata, “Land of the Free.”
Other guest performers include The M.O.T. Country Line Dancers, The Middletown High School Jr. Air Force ROTC Cadet Corp, plus patriotic selections on flute and trumpet. Special autographed items to be auctioned include an art project for the kids to enjoy and a grab bag for kids with a prize every time. There will be hot dogs, sodas, popcorn and baked goods for sale.
• The streets of Chesapeake City, Md., will shut down from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the annual Canal Day event.
There will be food, entertainment, arts and crafts and all kinds of vendors.
The Blakin’ Jazz band will play mostly jazz from 9 a.m. to noon, and from 1 to 5 p.m., the Route 1 Band will play country and rock.
There also will be raffles for items like a Ford Mustang, a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and more.
The Chesapeake Inn will have entertainment all weekend, including popular Philadelphia-based cover band Kristen & The Noise on Friday, June 27.
Cover to enter The Chesapeake Inn is $10 on Friday and $20 for Saturday.
There are designated parking lots around town where patrons can park and catch a shuttle bus to the land or water event for $10.
• The 18th African American Festival, “Positively Dover,” will be held on Legislative Mall.
The annual event will feature entertainment, food and a festive atmosphere for all.
Headline artists will be the Fabulous Platters, the Trinidad and Tobago Steel Orchestra of Baltimore, the Creative Jazz Ensemble, the Wilmington Youth Jazz Band, the Sankofa African Dancers and Drummers and the Millennium Gospel Singers.
This full day of fellowship and goodwill, suitable for the entire family, is free and open to the public.
For more information, call (302) 736-0101 or go to www.africanamericanfestival.org.
Friday, July 4
• The Town of Middletown will put on its annual fireworks display over Silver Lake Park at dusk.
For more information, call 378-2711.
Wednesday, July 9
• New Castle County Master Gardeners will be available at the New Castle County Cooperative Extension Demo site to provide information on the newly planted native garden and the compost demonstration area. They will be available from 9 to 11 a.m. This program will also be presented on Wednesday, Aug. 20.
The program is presented by New Castle County Master Gardeners and is free.
The University of Delaware’s NCC Extension Office is located at 461 Wyoming Road, Newark.
For more information and to register, call (302) 831-2506 or go to http://ag.udel.edu/nccmg.
Thursday, July 10
• The Ladies Auxiliary to the Odessa Fire Company will sponsor Limit Hold’em Cash Games starting at 7 p.m. at Premier Poker Room, 1055 Walker Road, Hamlet Shopping Center, Dover.
For more information, call Linda (302) 222-7559.