See what's going on in the M.O.T. area clubs
Women’s Club of Odessa
On April 14, the Women’s Club of Odessa was privileged to have Edna Kotrola speak to the group about Quilts For Comfort. She is a former Delaware resident who now lives in Wellsboro, Pa., and comes to Delaware once a month to coordinate the quilting bees at various sites in the state. All of the quilts made at the bees are donated to terminally ill patients and babies in the neonatal intensive care units. The quilts are requested by hospitals, doctors, nurses and more. The Women’s Club donated material and embroidery floss for the quilters to use. They will teach you how to make the quilts, which can be finished in one day.
The May meeting will be a trip to the Brandywine River Museum and a tour of N.C. Wyeth home and studio in two sessions – at 11:15 a.m. and 2 p.m. will be in the museum cafeteria. The museum cost is $6. The Wyeth tour is $5, and lunch is extra.
Participants must be at the Wyeth tour 15 minutes before it starts. Meet in front of New St. Paul’s on Main Street in Odessa at 9:45 a.m. Make checks out to Women’s Club of Odessa. Please RSVP all attendees to June Otten by Friday, May 1, by calling 378-1655.
The MOMS Club of Middletown
The MOMS Club of Middletown will host a membership meeting Tuesday, May 5, from 11 a.m. to noon at The Little Gym in Middletown. Children are welcome.
The MOMS club is an international non-profit organization. MOMS Club stands for “Moms Offering Moms Support.” The club is not affiliated with any religious or political group. The local chapter started in Middletown area in 1995. Currently there are about 60 members.
The MOMS Club of Middletown provides a support group for mothers who choose to stay at home to raise their children. The club offers a forum of topics pertinent to children, child raising, homemaking, personal improvement and the family. The organization engages in activities to enrich the lives of children in the community. The club undertakes and completes at least one charitable, humanitarian or social welfare project related to children each year.
For more information, email moms email@example.com.
M.O.T. Jean Birch Senior Center
The M.O.T. Jean Birch Senior Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The center offers activities, informational and educational programs, transportation and outreach services to those 55 and older in the Middletown, Odessa and Townsend area. Membership dues are $15 per person or $20 per married couple per year.
Call the center at 378-4758 for more details on the following:
Mondays: Morning: Line Dancing, Quilting; Afternoon: Beginner Line Dancing, Bridge 1, Mah Jong, Senior Sing-A-Long
Tuesdays: Morning: Beginner Golf, Arts & Crafts, Beginner Pinochle, Bread Distribution, Weighted Exercise; Afternoon: Bingo, Bridge 2, Shopping at Food Lion
Wednesdays: Morning: Walking club, Bowling at Mid-County Lanes, Ceramics, Dominos, Reiki; Afternoon: Bingo, Pinochle
Thursdays: Morning: Bridge Group 3, Massage Therapy, Mystery Memory, Walking Club, Weighted Exercise; Afternoon: Bible Study & Hymn Sing, Bingo
Fridays: Morning: Bingo, Beginner golf, Blood Pressure Screenings, Line Dancing, Which Stitch, Wii Bowling; Afternoon: Bridge Group 1, Open Wii games, shopping at Dutch Country Farmers Market
• Grief Support Group meets the first and third Thursday of each month from 2 to 4 p.m. with Angie Robertson, R.N. and bereavement counselor of Heartland Hospice.
• Diabetes Support Group, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. on May 20, This program is also for those with friends and family with diabetes as well as the diabetic.
• Delaware Volunteer Legal Aid w/Jackie Chacona, Esq. May 7, 1 to 2 p.m. Contact Pat McDowell to make your appointment.
• Elder Law Info with Alice Martin, May 8, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Contact Pat McDowell to make your appointment.
• A WSC Employment Services representative will be at the center the first Wednesday of each month from 9 a.m. to noon. This program is designed to assist those individuals 55 and older seeking employment. It provides training and a job referral program. To make an appointment, call Jim Manley at (302) 651-3440.
• An Elder Law Medicare Information representative trained in Medicare problems is at the center on the second Tuesday of each month. Call Diane Hastings, outreach coordinator, at 378-4758.
Special activities, programs and trips
• Friday, May 8, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. will be a Mother’s Day Jewelry & Bake Sale at the center. Donations of jewelry items can be brought to the front desk starting now until May 6 on Fridays starting at 8 a.m. A donation of baked goods sheet will be placed at the front desk.
• A Yard Sale will be held Saturday, April 25, starting at 8 a.m., at the Cochran Barn. Donations are accepted Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m to 2 p.m. Call ahead and the center will make arrangements to meet you at the barn and assist with unloading. No clothing, shoes, encyclopedias or medical supplies will be accepted.
• Antique Appraisal will be May 1 from 6 to 9 p.m. Verbal appraisals only. No buying or selling permitted. The cost is $3 per item or two items for $5. Bring your artwork, paintings, jewelry, furniture, clocks, coins, glassware, pottery, and etc. Sponsored by the Advisory Council of the M.O.T. Jean Birch Senior Center.
• Mother’s Day Luncheon will be May 5 at noon. Reservation and payment must be made with our kitchen by Friday, May 1, at 12 p.m.
• AARP Refresher Course, May 12, Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Cost is $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members. Must show proof of membership to AARP. Contact bookkeeping for payment and reservation.
• June 9 and June 10, there will be an AARP Two-Day Driving Course. Cost is $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members. Contact bookkeeping for payment and reservation.
• April 9 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. there will be a trip with breakfast at IHOP and shopping at Target. Transportation is $7 for center members and $10 for non-members. Breakfast and shopping on your own. Contact the bookkeeping office.
• The SOS – Singles Only Social Club will hold an event April 3 from 6 to 8 p.m.
• On April 24, there will be a 30+ Dance Fund Raiser, 7 to 11 p.m. Cost is $10 per person. Featuring: DJ Chris Karaoke Karnival and a concession stand by the Dutch Country Farmers Market vendors. All proceeds will benefit the M.O.T. Jean Birch Senior Center.
• May 11 will be the Care Core trip.
• May 12 will be the Cowtown, N.J., trip.
• May 29 will be the Mystery Lunch trip.
• June 18 will be Rainbow Dinner Theatre trip.
• April 27 at 11 a.m. will be Achiever Club meeting.
• April 27 at 7 p.m. will be the Board of Director’s meeting.
• May 4 at 10 a.m. will be the Advisory Council meeting
• May 8 at 6 p.m. will be a SOS (Singles Only Social) meeting with Bingo.
• May 28 at 2 p.m. will be a Peach Festival meeting.