This roundup includes reports on M.O.T. soccer, bowling, football and more.

The M.O.T. Wildcats U-15 girls soccer team opened their season in the PAGS League with a strong victory over the Ridley Courage 8-0.

The first half began with the Wildcats jumping on the board in the third minute of play as Claire Gerlitz crossed a pass to the far side of the field where Emily Cook controlled the ball and sent a nice low pass back to the middle where Erin Williams found the goal, in the low corner.

The second goal resulted from good pressure to recover an outgoing ball by Gerlitz in the midfield to Kelsey Stave, who moved the ball up the left side to the corner. Stave made a cut to the inside and flighted a crossing ball towards the far post where she found Niki Lemper running through the area. Lemper one-timed a volley into the upper corner.

Strong defending by Taylor Crofoot, Kristy Holowka and Alexa Cover created the opportunity for the third goal. A good tackle in midfield by Emily DeVine sent Sarah Connell up the sideline with a nice pass. Connell faded around a Ridley player to cross the ball to a waiting Gerlitz who put the ball home.

Solid midfield play gave the Wildcats a 4-0, first half lead as Taylor Weber took the ball down the right side and crossed a pass to Holowka 22 yards out. Holowka moved around two Ridley players into the 18 and found the back of the net from 14 yards.

Throughout the first half keeper Allison Johannsen denied the Courage from posting scores with strong saves. Second half saw more of the same Wildcat dominance on attack and defending.

Goal No. 5 came from combination passing in the middle at a string of passes. Gerlitz to Cover back to Gerlitz who found Emily Cook just inside the area, Cook turned and placed a great shot low and right just inside the post. A through ball from now midfielder Johannsen down the right side gave Vanessa Damiani the perfect opportunity to speed by her marking defender to add number No. 6.

After some back and forth passing in the middle third from mid-fielders Cover, DeVine, and Maddie Hemmert, Cover made a strong run through the Ridley attackers to steal the ball. She made a short pass to Sarah Eatough then made an overlapping run received the ball back, and released a quick shot to beat the Courage keeper for goal No. 7.

The final goal came from Eatough on a nice through pass to again the speeding Damiani, who beat the keeper low and to the far post.

A second half shutout was posted by now keeper Lemper. Coach Terry Lemper said this weeks’ success was a combination of great teamwork from each Wildcat playing their positions well.

 Larson, Devlin lead Mutt and Jeff

Jill Larson (Flight A) and Terry Devlin (Flight B) were the Mutt and Jeff winners at the Back Creek Ladies Golf Association event held on Sept. 17. Evelyn Robinson and Caroline Wise finished second and third, respectively, in Flight A, with Barbara Kamm and Bette Nelson following in Flight B.

Leek, Weber win age group titles

Middletown’s Sue Leek and Elizabeth Weber won age-group titles at the Delaware Senior Olympics 18-hole scratch golf tournament held Sept. 14 at Jonathan’s Landing in Magnolia.

Leek, 52, shot a 118. Weber, 60, shot a 132.

Revolution debuts with a 3-1 win

The U-13 M.O.T. Revolution boys soccer team opened the DELCO league season on Sept. 19 with a 3-1 win over the Rose Tree Soccer Club from Pennsylvania.

The first half of the game began evenly matched as both teams traded control of the ball several times. Tyler Bierlein of Revolution was very sharp in goal making an early diving stop to keep the game scoreless in the first half.

Revolution's right midfielder Zachary Irons broke the tie to begin the second half with a blast from 20 yards out that the Rose Tree goalkeeper got a hand on but could not control. Rose Tree continued to play tough however and tied the game a short time later on a breakaway.

As the second half progressed Rose Tree's stamina began to wane as the M.O.T. squad gathered steam. Revolution found the back of the net again on a steal by stopper Zachary Robinson. Robinson found Ryan Connell open on his left who fed forward Thomas Cawley breaking toward the goal. Cawley beat the opposing keeper for his first goal of the season giving M.O.T. a 2-1 lead. Looking for insurance Revolution continued to press the attack. A short time after Cawley's first goal he added another on a well placed pass from teammate David Switzer.

Revolution's defenders Jonathon Hartwell, Will Poppe, and Sean Taylor were very strong and stifled their opponents offense for the remainder of the game.

Titans dominate on beautiful day

On Sept. 19, the U-10 representative M.O.T. Titans began the DELCO season with a 5-1 win over the Interboro Wizards in Norwood, Pa.

The Titans quickly established their dominance. Ben Martin took a throw in and fed Corey Clayton.  Clayton weaved around a Wizard defender and smashed a right-footed shot into the back of the net.  While Erik Wellings was sidelined with an injury, the rest of the Titans stepped up their play. The defense led by Abbe Power, David Angulo, and Josh Denny shut down the Wizards, sweeping aside any Interboro offensive challenges.

When the Wizards managed a shot, goalie Max Classen was there to make the save, time and again. The half ended with the score 1-0 Titans. In the second half, Clayton went on a scoring tear. Austin Schulte settled a loose ball and fed Clayton who ripped a left footed shot from just inside the 18 for his second goal of the game.

In a rare Titan breakdown, the Wizards scored but Clayton would answer yet again. Carrying the ball from midfield, Clayton would fire another left footed rocket past the Wizard goalie for a natural hat trick. Clayton was not done. Fielding a pass from midfielder Josh Housler, Clayton made another long run from midfield and scored his fourth goal of the game.

Parker Ashby continued his improving defensive play and used his big foot to push the ball upfield. Midfielder Chris Trentham ran hard all day and worked the ball to Chris Munley. Munley weaved upfield and swerved to the right side of the box and blasted a shot over the goalie’s head to cap the scoring.

On Sept. 20, the Titans topped the Southern Chester Arsenal 5-0 in West Chester.

Right from the start, the Titans went on the attack. Martin carried the ball up the right sideline and sent a cross to the front of the goal. Angulo swept it home for the game’s first goal.  Soon after, Wellings would pounce on a soft Arsenal goal kick and feed Clayton who ripped a left footed shot past the goalie.

The Titan defense, as always, led by the tough play of Abbe Power, Chris Munley and sweeper Josh Denny, limited the Arsenal attack. Power would play a part in the next Titan score.  Power drove a goal kick up to Josh Housler on the left wing, who then passed to a hustling Clayton. Clayton dodged the last defender and scored again.

Right before halftime, Martin picked off a throw from the Arsenal goalie and pass to Munley.  Munley fed a streaking Angulo who worked to get a shot and would score again for a 4-0 halftime lead.

Goalie Classen wasn’t challenged in the first half.

The Titans continued to dominate Arsenal. Coach Tom Munley made some adjustments at half, moving Classen from goal and replacing him with Housler. Munley, Martin, Wellings, and Austin Schulte got off several shots and kept the Arsenal goalie busy in the second half.

Wellings finished the scoring for the Titans by pouncing on a goal kick, taking one dribble and scorching the nets with a terrific shot over the goalie’s head.

U-15 Vipers win second straight

The beautiful fall weather inspired the M.O.T. Vipers’ boys U-15 travel soccer team to shut out visiting Garnet Valley Revolution on Sept. 20 at Middletown Village, improving their record to 2-0.

Although the teams were fairly well matched, the combination of Vipers defenders Andrew Gilbert, Steven Davis and Eric Melchior in conjunction with goalkeeper Mike Bortolometti was the perfect recipe for a shutout. Bortolametti only touched the ball seven times the entire game, with 2nd string goalkeeper Outten taking over the last 15 minutes of the game and touching the ball just once.

“Making sure our Goalie is bored during the game is our job,” said Vipers defender Steven Davis.  “Most of the times Mike touched the ball today was because we just let him scoop it up so he’d have something to do.  I think there were really only about three true shots on goal by the Revolution.”

As opposed to the shots on goal made by the Vipers – a total of three in the first half; two by “Peanut” Adams and one by Zach Outten – and seven in the second half; one each made by Thomas Lopez, Alex Ricketts, Outten, Davis, Juan Gentile, Nick Kopp and Bortolametti. Both of the Vipers goals were made by Alex Ricketts; one in the eighth minute and the second at minute 31, assisted by Cole Cordell.

Bandits start PAGS play with two ties

The M.O.T. Bandits girls U-11 soccer team started their fall Philadelphia Area Girls Soccer season with two outstanding defensive efforts, as they did not allow a goal in either contest on their way to a pair of 0-0 ties.

First up for the Bandits on Sept. 19 was a short trip to play the Cecil (Md.) Shock. Competing in their first match in an 11 vs. 11 format on a full size field, the Bandits adjusted quickly and controlled play throughout, generating numerous scoring opportunities. In the first half, forwards Tara McDonald, Triniti Knight, Lindsay Machamer, Lauren Berry, and Kaylee Lester worked together with the midfield unit of Maggie Inglis, Julia Detwiler, Rylie Ricketts, Carly Garbayo, Jessica Bridge, and Coley Wilson to get several good looks on goal. But their shots were either stopped by the Shock goalkeeper or went wide.

Midway through the half, the Bandits were awarded a penalty kick after a trip in the 18-yard box. Lester nailed a beautiful ball into the corner of the net but the referee nullified the goal as he somehow called a Bandits player in the box during the kick.

The M.O.T. defense of Kayla Hemmert, Megan Lagola, Brie Norris, and Meghan Bailey also pressed forward, keeping the Shock pinned in their own end. The few times when the Shock did manage to break through, Norris or Bailey tracked the opponent down or the shot was stopped by Bandits keeper Emily Sweeny.

The second half was more of the same, with M.O.T. outshooting Cecil 9-1, but unable to put one past the Shock goalie. After numerous balls went just wide or over the net, Bailey drilled one from 25 yards out as time wound down. The ball clanged off of the post, bounced back off of the keeper, and then out of bounds as the game ended in a 0-0 draw.

On Sept. 20, the Bandits hosted the Westmont (Pa.) Avalanche in their home opener under sunny skies. Led by the defensive efforts of Sweeny, Bailey, Norris, Hemmert, and Lagola, along with keepers Catie Whiting and then Sweeny, M.O.T. again clamped down on their opponent, limiting the Avalanche scoring chances.

At the offensive end, the Bandits worked together to get on the scoreboard.  In the first 15 minutes, Knight fed Berry, but her shot missed wide.  Machamer made a nice left-side run and shot, but it was stopped by the Westmont goalie.  Midway through, Lester and Berry each had one blocked in front, and as the half came to a close, forward Emma Locker fed Knight for one of her two opportunities in the 18-yard box, but her shots both went wide.

The first five minutes of the second half saw the Avalanche come out attacking, as Sweeny was forced to make several saves in net for the Bandits.  Norris and Hemmert also made outstanding clears in front of the goal as well.

With strong support from the midfield unit of Wilson, Garbayo, Ricketts, Inglis, and Detwiler, M.O.T. began to regain control of the match and went on the attack. Bridge set up Knight, but her shot went wide.  Ricketts made several strong runs along the right side, but the Bandits were unable to capitalize. With 10 minutes remaining, Knight picked up a loose ball in front of the net and ripped one just wide.

7-9 Federals fall to Bel Air Black

The 7-9 M.O.T. Cavs Federals dropped a 34-0 decision to Bel Air Black. Thomas Mitchell made four tackles, while Tommy Conrad, Robby Snyder, Anthony Earl and Marc Borges all made three stops.

Making two tackles each were Isaiah Swan and Hunter Mullen. Jamie English gained 16 yards, and Allen Kramer recovered a kickoff.

8-10 Centennials edged by Havre de Grace

The 8-10 M.O.T. Cavs Centennials took a 16-14 loss to Havre de Grace. Duncan Stevens made seven tackles, and Zane Zaloga added five. Chris Aube made three tackles and recovered a fumble, while Chris Davis made three tackles.

Colin Koveleski had two tackles and recovered a fumble. Freddy Medley made two tackles. Justen Patrick gained 70 yards and scored a touchdown, with Darnell Bentley making a big tackle and block. Jesse Brown gained 16 yards and made a tackle. Brady Stamper made a tackle.

Storm takes care of Springfield, 12-0

On Sept. 20, the U-12 M.O.T. Storm girls soccer team took a 12-0 decision over the Springfield Strikers at Middletown Village. The Storm (2-0) jumped to a 5-0 halftime lead and despite voluntarily playing a man down during the second half, they continued the momentum by registering another seven unanswered goals.

Sammie Peters, Shelby Ricketts, Kelsy Fitzgerald, Julia Hickman, Mackenzie Sharpe and Erica Sieben combined for the Storm's goals.

Aggressive team play by midfileders Gabrielle Cortes, Abby Morrison, Yasmin Mann and strikers Piper Freed and Jordan Scout significantly limited the number of offensive opportunities the Springfiled Strikers had throughout the game and enabled Storm defensemen Elizabeth Pensel, Bailey Waddle, and goaltenders Kari White and Grace Olive to capture their second shutout of the season.

All players showed their versatility and unselfishness by playing multiple positions throughout the game.

U-11 Minotaurs defeat Rose Tree

The U-11 M.O.T. Minotaurs soccer team traveled to Media Pa. on Sept 19 and defeated the Rose Tree Renegades.

From the start, the Minotaurs’ defense set the tone. In the first minutes of the game, Charles Lussier stopped two Renegade rushes up the center of the field while Nicolas Hertzfeld had multiple takeaways from Renegades advancing up the touchline. Alec Wills thwarted strong side rushes while Aidan Kelly cleared the defensive third. The defense prevented ‘Taurs’ keeper Jack Hutchinson from facing a single shot on goal in the first half.

Offensively, the Minotaurs got off to a fast start. Six minutes into the game, midfielder Jack Newswanger directed a crossing pass from Kyle Rocca into the corner of the goal. Over the next eight minutes, midfielders Michael O’Neill and David Kim kept the Renegades pinned in their own end with well placed passes and relentless pressure when the Renegade managed to recovered the ball.

Will Nylander tallied the next two M.O.T. goals. On the first, he took a pass from O’Neill and blasted it into the back of the net. On his second goal, he chipped the ball over the outstretched arms of the opposing keeper. Rocca recorded the assist.

The scoring continued when Rocca fired a high blast into the goal after taking a nice pass from O’Neill. The fifth and final goal of the half was scored when Aidan Kelly, taking a corner kick, put a perfectly placed ball on the foot of Robert Miller who blasted home a low drive from 12 yards out.

Additional offensive pressure came from Parker Enslen and Clark Burgazli. They created opportunities with rushes into opponent territory. Burgazli had a goal called back due to an unfortunate offside call.  The Minotaurs recorded 13 shots in the half. Titus Knight had two shots, Andrew Ball three, David Kim one and Rocca two in addition to his goal.

The second half started much the way the first half ended. Strong defense and tireless offensive pressure from the Minotaurs frustrated the Renegades. Defensively, Lussier, Kelly, Hertzfeld, and Wills stopped all Renegade attempts to mount an offensive threat. Their combined efforts kept shots on the second half goalkeeper, Rocca, to just one. Supporting the defensive effort, Hutchinson, O’Neill, and Burgazli controlled the middle of the field throughout the half.

Offensively, the Minotaurs scored their sixth goal when Andrew Ball intercepted a goal kick and fired a head high blast into the net from 16 yards out.  Ball would record his second goal when he ran down and tapped in a perfect sending pass from Jose Hilario.  Knight, Nylander, O’Neill, Enslen, Burgazli and Hutchinson each recorded a shot in the second half.