Local history buffs will be able to visit some of the area’s most important historical treasures for free this weekend.
The Historic Odessa Foundation will be holding an open house from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday with public tours of the Corbit-Sharp House and the Children’s Education Center, as well as free access to its ongoing exhibit “Digging More Than Dirt at Avery’s Rest,” and the archaeological dig underway behind the stone stable at the Wilson-Warner House.
The Corbit-Sharp House at Main and Second streets was built in 1774 by prominent local tanner William Corbit, whose family owned the property until 1938, when it was purchased by H. Rodney Sharp, who restored it and several other historically significant buildings in Odessa.
The Philadelphia-style Georgian house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1967.
The Foundation’s Children’s Education Center is located in the basement of the house.
The open house also includes an exhibition of artifacts from Avery's Rest, the 800-acre, Rehoboth Beach-area plantation of English colonist John Avery and his wife Sarah, the first documented school teacher in Maryland.
For more information, visit the Historic Odessa Foundation’s website at www.historicodessa.org.