The St. Georges Hawks started the 2013 high school football season off with a bang, defeating Laurel Thursday night 56-22 in the 3rd annual DFRC Kickoff Classic.

Taronn Selby led the way for the Hawks, scoring three touchdowns, including an 89-yard kickoff return for a TD to open the game.

Selby gave the Hawks an early two-score lead scoring from 8-yards out, capping off a long first drive of the game for St. Georges Tech.

St. Georges Tech was able to force a turnover on the next Laurel possession, leading to a Tymiere Griffin touchdown on the ground to give the Hawks a commanding 20-0 lead.

After a Laurel touchdown on the ensuing kickoff, Keyjuan Selby broke loose for a 61-yard touchdown, before brother Taronn scored his second touchdown of the evening to help the Hawks begin to pull away, 34-7.

With just over a minute remaining in the first half, the Hawks muffed a punt leading to a Laurel touchdown to cut the St. Georges lead to 34-14. Though, as they had done all night, the Hawks responded after making a mistake. Zach Wright connected with Austyn Warren on a 47-yard touchdown bomb just before the half to give St. Georges a 41-14 lead at the break.

While the Hawks would tack on more points in the second half, their first-half explosion was all they would need to secure the victory.

Aside from some mistakes, perhaps caused by first-game jitters, the Hawks were fluid on both sides of the ball.

On offense, the Hawks thrived on the ground, staying with the running game and capitalizing on opportunities. The running game opened up the opportunity for Wright to take some shots deep, keeping the Laurel defense off-balance most of the evening.

Defensively, the Hawks did well against the read-option style offense of the Bulldogs. As the game progressed, the defensive line began to get penetration eventually leading to some turnovers giving the Hawks’ electric offense more opportunities to score.

The Hawks, now at 1-0, are back in action next Saturday when they host Christiana in their home-opener.