The St. Georges soccer team score an overtime goal in 17 seconds to defeat Middletown 2-1 Tuesday night.

In the end, it was an exhilarating victory for St. Georges and a heartbreaking defeat for Middletown, as the Hawks scored an overtime goal to upend the Cavaliers Tuesday night at Cavalier Stadium.

“We knew coming in that we were facing a team with experience and they were in the state semifinals last year, and they have a lot of team speed and they were able to capitalize on that at times during the game. We have a young team, but we hunkered down and took them to overtime.  And we certainly had our chances to come away with the win,” said Middletown coach Brian Derrickson.

St. Georges speedy and talented senior Tarweh Helb outraced the Cavaliers’ defense and scored a “golden goal” just 17 seconds into the overtime session.

“I hustled for the ball and it got there and I was able to put it away,” said Helb, “It was a lot of fun out there tonight, it was a great game to play in.”

In the closing moments of the second half, the Cavaliers pressed on offense and nearly won the game on a free kick that was tipped high into the night sky and over the goal by Hawks goal-keeper Robin Jamieson. Moments later, Helb got the game winner.

“They put in a really good kick on their free kick, and at first I didn’t know what to do with it, but I saw it at the last second and jumped up and tipped it away. It was tough, but it was a great game, and I had a lot of fun especially towards the end and that save boosted my confidence,” Jamieson said.

Cavaliers’ sophomore Geovanni Garcia opened the scoring at 21:07 on a nice feed through the middle from Donald Sniadecki to give Middletown a 1-0 advantage.

But the Hawks stepped up their offensive attack and Helb scored the equalizer at 10:20.

Both teams had several good scoring opportunities in the half, but the defenses held firm and the score remained tied at 1-1.

In the second half, St. Georges had the better of play initially, but again Cavs’ goalkeeper Zach Baker made a series of fine saves to keep the score equal. His diving stop about midway through the half had fans roaring with approval and had the Hawks players shaking their heads in disbelief.

Towards the end of regulation, Middletown had several chances, but this time it was Jamieson and his defense to the rescue, giving St. Georges the opportunity to get to the overtime session.

“That was an amazing finish,” said Hawks’ coach Justin Null, “Our captain, Casey  Hayden, put the ball right up there and Tarweh finished as he has done all season long for us. He makes something out of nothing all the time.”

Null said he was surprised and pleased at the time of the overtime goal. “That’s just incredible, that’s a credit to our guys, and how hard they work,” he said.