The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that Friday afternoon's townhouse fire in Middletown was accidental.

The blaze, reported shortly after 4 p.m., occurred in the 300 block of Liborio Drive in Middletown Village, said Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio.

 When firefighters from the Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown arrived, they saw the fire in the basement of the townhouse.

The fire was caused when materials came in contact with a baseboard heater and ignited, Chionchio said.

Two adult residents of the townhouse have been displaced. There were no reported injuries, Chionchio said.

Damage was estimated at $20,000.