Redding Middle School received a bomb threat on Wednesday morning, according to Appoquinimink School District Superintendent Matthew Burrows.
“We evacuated students by calling for a fire drill,” Burrows said on a message to parents. “The Delaware State Police and Middletown Fire Department were immediately notified, and are on site now conducting a sweep of the building to determine that it is safe to re-enter.”
This latest call follows a pattern of six robo threats made to other schools in Kent and Sussex Counties earlier this week. It is the first time Redding has been targeted.
“We’d like to emphasize that the situation is under control, and students are safe and well cared for. As soon as we receive appropriate reassurances, we will re-enter the building and notify Redding parents,” Burrows continued.
“We applaud the quick actions of staff and the level-headed response of students! It is our sincere hope that the law enforcement agencies investigating the source of these robo calls will find and punish the perpetrators. If you have any information about this incident, please contact the Delaware State Police Troop 9,” he said.