Delaware hunters will start their 2018-19 hunting season Sept. 1 with the opening of mourning dove, resident Canada goose and archery and crossbow deer seasons.

Hunters can start adding teal to their bag Sept. 12 when the special September teal season opens. Gray squirrel season will open Sept. 15. New this year, archery and crossbow deer hunters can hunt Sundays during archery and crossbow deer seasons, including in September.

Seasons opening in September, with dates and hunting hours listed, are:

— Dove: Sept. 1 through Oct. 1, one half-hour before sunrise to sunset.

— Resident Canada geese: Sept. 1-25, one half-hour before sunrise to sunset.

— Archery and crossbow deer: Sept. 1 through Jan. 31, 2019, to include Sundays, one half-hour before sunrise to one half-hour after sunset.

— Teal: Sept. 12-29, one half-hour before sunrise to sunset.

— Gray squirrel: Sept. 15 through Feb. 2, 2019, one half-hour before sunrise to one half-hour after sunset.

The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control’s Division of Fish & Wildlife offers many early-season hunting opportunities on state wildlife areas, with hunting details and rules available at

Non-toxic shot must be used for dove hunting on state wildlife areas during September, and hunting hours might differ at specific dove fields on certain state wildlife areas.

A Delaware hunting license or License Exempt Number is required to hunt, and most waterfowl hunters require a Delaware waterfowl stamp. More information on hunting license and Delaware waterfowl stamp requirements is available at Teal, dove and goose hunters also will need a Federal Harvest Information Program number. To register for a HIP number or LEN number, hunters can visit or call 855-335-4868. For hunters ages 16 and older, a federal migratory bird stamp is also required to hunt geese or teal.

Registered motor vehicles used to access designated wildlife areas owned or managed by the Division of Fish & Wildlife are required to display a Conservation Access Pass. Hunters can opt to receive one free annual CAP with the purchase of any Delaware hunting license. To obtain a free CAP or to purchase an additional pass, hunters will need the registration card for the vehicle to which the pass will be assigned.

Delaware hunting licenses, Delaware waterfowl stamps, and Conservation Access Passes can be purchased online at Delaware Licenses; at the license desk in DNREC’s Dover office, 89 Kings Highway; or from hunting license agents statewide. Federal migratory bird stamps are available at U.S. Post Offices, Bombay Hook and Prime Hook national wildlife refuges and online at federal duck stamps.

For more, visit