The home is divided into two apartments, and the two families who were living in the apartments are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

No injuries were reported, but fire damaged a Middletown house this morning, Sunday, Oct. 28.

Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio said the fire in the 100 block of East Lake Street was declared accidental.

When firefighters from Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown responded to the blaze shortly after 11 a.m., they saw flames coming from the house.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office said the home is divided into two apartments.

The fire began in the living room of a ground floor apartment when an electrical extension cord powering a space heater failed, igniting the nearby couch, Chionchio said.

Fire damage was estimated at $100,000, he said.

No injuries were reported.

Two families, totaling four adults and three children, have been displaced. Both families are being assisted by the American Red Cross, Chionchio said.