Click inside to go to this week's file, with suggestions on NFL and NHL action, new movies including “The Last Stand” and more. Or check out these other links.
1. The Super Bowl participants will emerge this weekend. San Francisco and Atlanta face off Sunday at 3 p.m. EST on Fox, and Baltimore and New England play Sunday at 6:30 pm. EST on CBS. The winners get a trip to the Super Bowl, which is on Feb. 3.
2. The new movies opening this week have a lot of star power. Arnold Schwarzenegger returns to a leading roll in “The Last Stand,” R, starring alongside Forest Whitaker and Johnny Knoxville; and Mark Wahlberg, Russell Crowe and Catherine Zeta-Jones star in “Broken City,” R. Also opening is “Mama,” a PG-13 horror film.
3. Saturday is one of our favorite non-traditional holidays of the year: Popcorn Day! This is a day to celebrate popcorn. Go to the movies and get some from the concession stand; buy some and have a movie night at home; make some crafts with popcorn; make some caramel corn; or whatever you desire.
4. If the NHL lockout didn’t turn you off to the sport, the action returns Saturday. A full slate of games is scheduled – check it out at NHL.com.
5. President Barack Obama will officially begin his second term Sunday after he’s inaugurated as president. The public ceremonies take place Monday, but TV shows, newspaper articles and more are sure to be talking about Obama this weekend.
GateHouse News Service