Yes, you can get a sudden allergic reaction to meat when bitten by a lone star tick.

Disclosure: We earn commissions from purchases made after clicking curated product links

A plethora of often difficult-to-diagnose conditions and diseases can arise when a tick bites, which is why repellents, tick checks and other precautions are hyped, especially during warm-weather months.

However, perhaps no symptom is more distinct than the sudden allergic reaction to meat that sometimes occurs when bitten by a lone star tick. The American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology at explains the particulars:

• The lone star tick — nicknamed as such for a unique splotch of white on its back — is found predominantly in the Southeast, from Texas to Iowa and into New England.
• Symptoms can include a stuffy nose, nausea, headaches, asthma and/or a rash soon after eating meat. A more serious symptom is anaphylaxis, a severe and potentially deadly allergic reaction that restricts breathing.
• Someone with a tick-borne meat allergy is often allergic to any mammal meat, including lamb, pork, beef, goat and even seal.
• Sometimes a tick-related meat allergy will expand to include poultry.
• A blood test typically establishes a diagnosis.

Treatment for a meat allergy means avoiding triggers: red meat and sometimes poultry. If the allergy is or becomes severe, sufferers must pay attention to food labels and alert waiters in a restaurant to their condition. Allergists can offer help with managing a meat allergy, and an epinephrine auto-injector may be prescribed if anaphylaxis is one symptom.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend precautionary measures when outdoors. Use a repellant containing DEET, treat clothing and gear with permethrin, and check body and clothing for ticks immediately after being outdoors, especially in wooded areas. Ticks like to reside on pets, and they will attach themselves in crease areas of a body, such as behind knees or under arms, in and around hair and ears, and even inside a naval.

Remove a tick by using tweezers to carefully grasp it close to the surface of the skin and pull upward steadily; clean the area with alcohol or soap and water. Dispose of the tick by soaking in alcohol and flushing down the toilet, or by enclosing it tightly inside a bag and disposing of it in a trash can outside the home. Do not hold a lit match toward it, smother it with petroleum jelly or nail polish, or dab the spot with acetone or bleach — these are not effective or safe means of removal, says Consumer Reports.